Join the 49ers Basketball Band!

For the 2018-2019 season, all UNC Charlotte and consortium students may participate in the Basketball Band!  The band provides musical entertainment, spirit, and support at all men's and women's home basketball games as well as at all conference tournament play.

Sign up HERE!


Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Who can play in the 49ers Basketball Band?  All UNC Charlotte and consortium students who have experience playing piccolo, clarinet, alto/tenor saxophone, trumpet, mellophone, trombone, baritone, or sousaphone/tuba are welcome to seek membership in the group.


  • Do I have to audition?  Students who are current members of the Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, or Symphonic Band do not need to perform a playing audition. All other students should schedule a short playing audition with Dr. Scheivert before October 19. To audition, you will need to play a short excerpt of a piece that shows your ability to play rhythmically and loud.  There will also be a sightreading component, since the group performs more than it rehearses.


  • Can I borrow an instrument?  It is expected that all mellophone, baritone, and sousaphone players will borrow a school-owned instrument. There is a limited stock of other instruments, which will be distributed on a first-come basis.


  • What is the practice schedule?  There will be three preseason rehearsals: October 29, November 1, and November 5 from 6:30-8:00p. There will be a few additional rehearsals in January, during the scheduled spring semester meeting time (MW 5:30-6:45p). However, the band will not meet throughout the whole spring semester at that time. 


  • What is the performance schedule?  To achieve an "A" in the course, you must attend at least 22 games during the season. At least 7 of those games must occur during the fall semester (up to December 9).  You are able to choose the games that you attend; the sign-up procedure will be explained during the preseason rehearsals.


  • Will I get to travel?  Twenty-nine members of the 49ers Basketball Band will get to travel to Frisco, TX, from March 13-16, 2019. After appropriate instrumentation, the primary means to determine the traveling members will be attendance at events.  More events=more credit. You will receive extra travel credit for performing at games over winter and spring breaks.


  • Do I get academic credit?  Yes, all students must enroll for MUPF 1114 for the Spring 2019 semester. However, band responsibilities begin in October and end in March.


  • Will it cost anything?  There is no cost for MUPF 1114.  Travel costs are also covered by the athletic department.